Christmas Time

Saturday, May 19, 2007

shepherding a child's heart...

for any of you who might be in need of some parenting encouragement or direction i suggest checking out the link on the left -shepherding book discussion. this book discussion should prove to be a blessing to all. shepherding a child's heart by ted tripp is a must read for parents and i would actually say it is a book to be read yearly.
with our 5 and 2 year old constantly aggravating one another i find that i grow weary very quickly. by day's end i am worn out and have gotten so tired of my own voice. why you ask? because i spend much of my time fussing at the kids to change their behavior instead of using moments of correction as times to shepherd their hearts towards their Creator and His word.

1 Samuel says man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart. i have so often referred to this verse from the outward appearance angle, not wanting my children to be caught up in the battle of looks that comes creeping in on all of us. what i say and do is a reflection of what is in my heart just as what my children say and do reflects their hearts. i am encouraged to help them grow in their knowledge and understanding of God and His character so that their lives would be a reflection of the Holy Spirit living in their Hearts!

Lord, change my own heart to reflect Yours. teach me how to raise up a godly generation for Your glory. i confess, oh God, how i have relied on my own strength to make my children into "good" little children. Lord, search my heart and know my thoughts. see the offensive ways in me, cleanse me and lead me in the way everlasting. mold me, Lord, into a mom that in all my imperfection still points my little ones to You.